Balloon Chic Kitchen 01: Best Ever Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
Healthy treats can be a tricky one to figure out. We all crave the unhealthy stuff, (some more often than others *cough*), but we also know there's only so much we should be having, right? The solution is definitely not to restrict and deprive ourselves, but rather to enjoy our favorite nibbles with a healthier twist! So get the little beans to join you in the kitchen (i.e children, nephews, nieces, little siblings, their friends etc., you know the drill), and prepare to embark on a delicious baking adventure!
- Yields: 1 dozen
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
(Vegan alternatives to ingredients included!)
- 1 c. quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 c. whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter, softened - or vegan butter/margarine
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg - or 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. applesauce
- 1/2 c. dried cherries
- 1/3 c. chopped dark chocolate, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, and applesauce until combined. Mix in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in dried cherries and chocolate.
- Using a large cooking scoop, arrange balls of dough on prepared baking sheet, inches apart. Gently flatten each ball slightly. Top with more chocolate.
- Bake until golden around edges, about 12 minutes.